Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers

It might be because once when we were flying home from New York with six month old Miles, I gave a stranger my white Gap t-shirt. His 1-1/2 year old had vomited all over himself (including his shoes) and the father had no extra clothes for him. So he walked off the plane wearing my t-shirt like a ball gown - and I never saw it again. Or maybe I did something extraordinarily nice in a previous life. Or maybe people are just better than I thought. Or maybe I just looked REALLY pathetic.

But whatever the reason, this past week I was on the receiving end of a kindness from strangers. Strangers who carried my enormous carry on bag off of the airplane, while I carried Mia and tried to corral Miles into the right direction. Strangers who didn't complain when my daughter kicked the back of their seat for three hours straight. Strangers who played peek-a-boo with her for hours. Strangers who peeled my son away from the plane window and directed him down the aisle. Strangers who gave us juice, watched my daughter, played with my son.

So if you ever see someone stupid enough to take a two year old and one year old across the country, and change flights on the way, help them out. They might be too frazzled to show it at the time, but trust me they are grateful.

No comments: