Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes....

I'm more than a teensy bit insecure about my parenting skills. But every now and then I do something that makes me just want to pat myself on the back and say, "girlfriend, you rock." Like when I took the kids - by myself - to Florida. Or last Saturday when I held a tarantula.

It was Bug Day at the Randall Museum, our local nature museum for kids. And Miles was transfixed by the spiders. We couldn't drag him away. Several other kids had held it, and I thought that he might want to also (with a little encouragement). So, in a moment of unaccustomed bravery, I held out my hand and held it.

It's legs were kind of soft as it walked across your skin, but the big soft body that dragged across my palm was creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

But of course, I constantly underestimate Miles. He was wayyyy too smart to want to hold that thing.

But now I will have something to think about in the middle of the night, or next time we go camping.

3 comments:

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Laura, I just have to say... I identify so much with your blog. Glad you're writing it.

Span Ows said...

most of the comments on my blogpost

here

tend to concur with you, I posted re snakes but everyones sacred of spiders!

Span Ows said...

SCARED! not sacred!!! :-/