Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Television

When Miles was very small I was adamant that he not watch television. I didn't want him to get used to passive entertainment that would diminish his imaginative ability. When we interviewed nannies, I was very firm that he not see any TV during the day (and I know for a fact that his sitter never showed him any - she couldn't figure out our Tivo).

But then Mia was born.

And I started thinking that a teensy bit of TV might not be so bad.

But he wasn't interested. Now that I so desperately need a little break, he just won't watch it. TV doesn't have anything to compare with pretending to be on a plane to Hawaii. Or dumping your legos. Or pushing your little sister. We've had the odd twenty minutes of Elmo's world, and once or twice he's watched the 30 minute "Grinch Who Stole Christmas" all the way through. But that's it.

And then last night, he actually sat on the couch and watched an entire episode of Seasame Street. The WHOLE thing. Sure, Mia was still running around like a crazy person, but I actually managed to clean up from dinner, pick up the toys and put Mia into her pajamas in relative peace.

Wow. Thank god for the electronic babysitter!

No comments: