Wednesday, February 15, 2006

On Fashion

Last summer I wrote about my struggle trying to find new clothes. Well it is still ongoing. Part of the problem is that with only three hours a week - at best - without kids, I don't really have time to shop for myself. But the bigger problem is that I just can't find things that are right for my current lifestyle.

This week I spent my precious three hours shopping for new jeans for myself. I went downtown to the Lucky Jeans store and realized that I will probably never find jeans that I like. At Lucky you can get many different styles of jeans - distressed, with rips, patches, "whiskering" and even with faux oil stains. (If you don't believe me, check out the Lucky web site).

I realize that I'm just a few breaths away from forty, but I hadn't realized before how out of touch I am. I guess I'm officially an old fart. But really, why would I pay more than $70 for jeans that are already worn out? And aren't those "whiskering" lines the kind of fading that you get when your pants are TOO TIGHT? But what really floors me is the oil stains. I teach at my son's preschool - I can generate my own stains, thank you very much.

So I did what I always do when I get frustrated shopping for myself. I went down the street to Old Navy and bought a pile of nice, new, inexpensive, oil-free t-shirts for the kids.

No comments: